A Santa hat made from a paper shopping bag, cereal box, and computer paper! I know this is different than my usual videos topics, but technically Santa is a mutant in Marvel comics so I figured it’s still allowed :).
I think this DIY Santa hat looks cool. It’s a little stiff but it’s pretty comfortable on. And the paper fur is pretty convincing and it’s just fun and festive overall.
Anyway, I hope you like it and I’ll catch you on the next one. Merry Christmas everyone!
- Paper grocery bag: https://amzn.to/3IUBFXB
- Chipboard (I used old cereal boxes): https://amzn.to/3omh7xE
- Computer Paper: https://amzn.to/3B8NpDP
- Scissors: https://amzn.to/3v6srlg
- Glue gun: https://amzn.to/3PwdPnp
- Glue sticks: https://amzn.to/3PFlX4w
- Craft paint (red): https://amzn.to/3v4YUZ2
- Paint Brushes: https://amzn.to/3OluJnf
- Masking Tape: https://amzn.to/3Pv8RaG
* Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase. Thank you! *
Steps To Make A Paper Santa Hat:
- Cut the bottom off of your paper grocery bag (the part that allows it to stand upright).
- Use a ruler to measure the midpoint of the bag.
- If you don’t have a ruler, fold the bag in half long ways to get the midpoint.
- Draw lines from the two bottom corners of the bag to the that midpoint at the top of the bag.
- Cut this triangle out.
- Lay the triangles next to each other.
- If there are graphics on the bag, make sure the graphic side is laying up (ie facing you).
- Tape together into a cone.
- Start with taping one side together and then fold the other sides inward to tape them together. Keep the tape on the inside of the cone.
- Paint this cone in red craft paint.
- Make a headband out of cereal box cardboard strips.
- Cut a piece of computer paper into thirds (long ways).
- Fold each of these three pieces in half (long ways) and then stack together.
- Add a little glue along the fold lines to keep the pieces together, if desired.
- Cut these strips into fringe. Repeat.
- Hot glue headband onto the bottom of the cone.
- Hot glue pieces of the fringe onto the cereal box headband.
- Repeat until you get a fluffy fringe ring.
- For the pompom – make a ball, cover with paper fringe, glue onto the top of the hat.