One of my favorite animated shows is Avatar: The Last Airbender. I love the “magic” and lore to the series. The writers really did a great job creating an immersive world. In the show, Katara is one of the main characters. She wears her mother’s betrothal necklace as a way to remember her after she was killed by the fire nation. It’s a pretty significant item for Katara so I thought I would make it. Feel free to watch the video, print the template, and follow the steps below to make your own version of Katara’s Necklace from Avatar: The Last Airbender!
- Computer Paper: https://amzn.to/3B8NpDP
- Chipboard (I used old cereal boxes): https://amzn.to/3omh7xE
- Scissors: https://amzn.to/3v6srlg
- Glue gun: https://amzn.to/3PwdPnp
- Glue sticks: https://amzn.to/3PFlX4w
- Super glue: https://amzn.to/3z53GY2
- Craft paint (black, blue, light blue, yellow): https://amzn.to/3v4YUZ2
- Paint Brushes: https://amzn.to/3OluJnf
- Masking Tape: https://amzn.to/3Pv8RaG
* Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase. Thank you! *
- Use a bottle cap to draw a circle on a piece of cereal box cardboard.
- Hot glue this piece to another piece of cereal box cardboard so there are two layers.
- Use scissors to cut out the circle. This is the medallion.
- Cut out a small triangle with the point snipped off to be the “clasp” for the medallion.
- Take a long piece of masking tape and fold it over onto itself so the sticky sides are touching each other. This will be the ribbon.
- Carefully wrap it around your neck so you get the length right.
- Trim off excess.
- Optional: Sandwich the ends of the ribbon with cereal box cardboard.
- Paint the ribbon with navy blue craft paint (I used blue mixed with black).
- Paint the medallion with light blue craft paint.
- Paint the rest in yellow craft paint.
- Draw or print out the medallion design.
- Tape painted medallion to the back of the design, making sure the paint side faces up.
- Trace the entire design, pushing down firmly with a pen.
- Remove the medallion. It will now have an impression of the design on it.
- Use a blue pen to carefully draw on the design, following the imprints left on it from step 15.
- Use super glue to glue on the clasp and medallion to the center of the ribbon.
- Add velcro/hook-and-loop to the ends of the ribbon.
- Wear and enjoy!