Hello! I’m Stephen and I like to make cardboard costumes and props.
Today I’m using a cardboard pizza box and scrap paper to make the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It’s such an awesome prop that I decided to try out a new technique – stacking the cardboard! I’ll admit, the actual prop is a little higher, but I’m still happy with it! If you want yours to be more screen accurate….add 2 more pieces to the stem and then about 4 more pieces of piece #45 right on top.
Anyway, check out the video and steps below!
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: https://amzn.to/43RD9LK
- Computer Paper: https://amzn.to/3B8NpDP
- Corrugated cardboard: https://amzn.to/3IW9mb6
- Scissors: https://amzn.to/3v6srlg
- Utility blade: https://amzn.to/3orJXMV
- White glue: https://amzn.to/3v2cbBK
- Craft Paint (red, brown, white, gold): https://amzn.to/3v4YUZ2
- Paint Brushes: https://amzn.to/3OluJnf
- Masking Tape: https://amzn.to/3Pv8RaG
- Flour: https://amzn.to/3IWxJFG
Steps to Make The Holy Grail from Indiana Jones:
- Print the template.
- Tape all of the pieces onto corrugated cardboard.
- Use scissors and/or utility knife to cut out all of the pieces. Make sure to label each piece with its number from the template.
- Starting with piece #1, stack the pieces, add glue between each piece. Make sure the pieces are lined up in the center and not lopsided.
- Allow it to dry completely.
- Cover in paper mache. Paper mache is just flour mixed with water and a little glue. Use the scrap paper from printing/cutting out the template pieces.
- Once the paper mache dries, give the grail a light sanding just to smooth away some of the bigger bumps.
- Paint with brown craft paint. Keep the paint job messy…ie some of the white paper mache can poke through.
- Add some swipes of rusty red (this is just red mixed with a little brown).
- Add some gold craft paint.
- Lightly brush over the entire cup with white craft pant and add some flecks of gold on top of the white.
- While this layer of paint is still wet, dust the cup with baby powder to make it look dusty.
- Paint the inside of the cup with light gold craft paint. Alternatively, you could use gold leaf or metallic gold duct tape or foil, if you have it.
- Once the inside is painted gold, the cup officially becomes the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Enjoy!
**prints out on regular US Letter paper – 8.5 x 11 inch **